Monday, July 12, 2010

Egg Rolls

1 pkg. (16 oz.) shredded coleslaw
1 cup cooked, diced meat (poultry or shrimp)
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. egg roll wrappers
Vegetable Oil

Stir together first 6 ingredients: slaw, meat, ginger, garlic, pepper, salt.
* WIDD (what I did differently) tossed the first 6 ingredients into a skillet with some soy sauce, until warmed and covered.*

Brush outer edge of egg roll wrapper with water *WIDD egg/water mixture.* Spoon a 1/3 cup of mixture into the center of the wrapper.  *Make sure filling has cooled before placing in the wrapper, it being hot seemed to tear the wrapper.*  Fold bottom corner over filling and tucking the corner under the filling, fold over left and right corners; gently press to seal.  Pour oil, depth of 3 inches (a lot of oil) into a dutch oven, heat until 375 degrees.  Fry egg rolls in batches of 3-4, until golden brown.  Serve immediantly.

These egg rolls were amazing!  I was so proud of us for trying something we have never made before.  I used chicken for our meat.  Also, if veggies are in season shredd your own slaw mix: cabbage, carrots.  This is also the first time I have ever used fresh ginger - now what to do with the rest....any ideas?  The wrapers is tear some but like I noted before I believe it is because we warmed up the slaw mix before hand, the original recipe did not call for us heating up the mixture or using soy sauce.


2 comments:

  1. Well, I sure am proud of you guys for trying this too. It is something that I've always wanted to do. Now I think I'll just have to give it a try... lots of cabbage coming in the CSA box right now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to try these! (If I can find GF egg roll wrappers!) Maybe use it in lettuce wraps. . hmmm. . . Jeff has been wanting egg rolls sometime! And, I DO have one idea of how to use some of the fresh ginger - fresh ginger was actually new for me this summer, too! I have a Ginger-Cilantro Rice side (that goes really well with that Mango-Sesame Dressing chicken/veggies - or other Asian/Mexican dishes)that uses fresh ginger. I'll e-mail it to you!

    ReplyDelete